Family Favorites | Meals | Recipes | Simple Suppers
Greek Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart with Feta Sauce
Greek-style tomato basil puff pastry tart
This tomato basil puff pastry tart starts with a creamy feta sauce and is topped with fresh herbs and veggies. A Greek-style tart that has a light flaky puff pastry crust that melts in your mouth! It’s packed with creamy deliciousness and fresh flavors from the garden.
This tomato basil puff pastry tart is full of fresh herbs & veggies and has a creamy feta sauce.
In the summertime, meals get really simple at our house because we would rather be outside than stuck at the kitchen sink doing dishes. This meal is a favorite because it’s topped with fresh veggies and herbs from our garden. Since we use already prepared puff pastry, this tart is easy and to make.
We have a tiny garden and every summer we grow cucumbers, grape tomatoes, dill, herbs, and with luck…spinach. This year was a good year for spinach but last year…not so much. I love that this tomato basil puff pastry tart recipe lets us use nearly everything we grow.
Years ago, when I learned about how heart-healthy Mediterranean food is, it was like a win-win for us because we could sort of have our cake and eat it too. Every member of my family LOVES many of the ingredients that go into most Greek food. We are big fans of Feta, cucumber, and grape tomatoes, and we are obsessed with Kalamata olives!
You can also serve this Greek style tomato basil puff pastry tart as an appetizer.
I know that there are similar puff pastry tarts out there served as an appetizer, but we make this recipe for supper. Because, in the summertime, it is perfect for a meal. But by all means, if you want to serve it as an appetizer go ahead, it’s great for that too.
In fact, I recently served this tart as an appetizer at a gathering we had in the spring and my guests devoured it. I’m just saying… it’s too good to enjoy only when company comes over.
For the crust
Let puff pastry thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or on the countertop until semi-soft but not warm. Press both puff pastry sheets into a cookie sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Press the edges of the two sheets together to make one large sheet.
Lightly score a 1 inch border around the entire edge of the pan with a paring knife. Use a fork to prick the center of the puff pastry several times. This will allow the edges to puff up while the center stays down.
In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg, and use a baster to brush it onto the enitre surface of the puff pastry. Cook puff pastry, according to package directions until golden brown.
To make the creamy feta sauce
While puff pastry is baking, use a large bowl to mix the plain yogurt, garlic, and Feta cheese. Chop the tomatoes, olives, spinach, cucumbers, basil and any other fresh herbs you are using. 1 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 5 oz package crumbled feta, cheese, 1 clove garlic minced,1 tsp Cavender’s Greek seasoning (optional
Add your desired toppings:
Top with chopped spinach, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, calamata olives and cucumber.
1 to 1 1/2 cups cucumbers chopped, 1 to 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes chopped, 2 cups spinach chopped, 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped, 3/4 cup Kalamata olives sliced, 1 14oz can canned chickpeas drained, (optional) 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives or dill optional.
More optional toppings: Fresh chives and dill leaves.
Greek Tomato Basil Puff Pastry Tart with Feta Sauce
For The Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 5 oz package crumbled feta cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp Cavender's Greek seasoning optional
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cucumbers chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives sliced
- 1 14oz can canned chickpeas drained, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives or dill optional
- Let puff pastry thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or on the countertop until semi-soft but not warm. Press both puff pastry sheets into a cookie sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Press the edges of the two sheets together to make one large sheet.
- Lightly score a border around the entire edge of the pan with a paring knife. Use a fork to prick the center of the pastry several times. This will allow the edges to puff up while the center stays down.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg, and use a baster brush to spread it onto the puff pastry. Cook pastry, according to package directions until golden brown. 10-15 minutes.
- Let crust cool before adding feta sauce and veggies.
- In the meantime, use a large bowl to mix together yogurt, Feta cheese, garlic, chives or green onions and optional Greek seasoning. Stir until combined.
- Spread sauce evenly on top of cooled crust.
- Chop the tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers, and fresh herbs and sprinkle evenly on top of pizza. Add chickpeas, and sliced olives.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
I am Laura
Who I am is a Southern California turned small town, Midwest Mom. I am wife to Bruce, and mom to my three girls who are all now in college. I enjoy spending time with our quirky pup, Ollie, working in my little garden, and experimenting in the kitchen. I am dedicated to keeping my life as simple as possible and to helping others do the same.
It is my deepest hope that you will find resources here that will bring you closer to living a simpler, more intentional, and more peaceful life.
in your space…
…but let it be
as a daisy
in a vase.
Also Try These Delicious Supper Recipes
This one-pot supper hits every single mark, it is easy, healthy, delicious, and inexpensive. It is an all-time family...
This Creamy Garlic Shrimp Pasta with Spinach is a mouthwatering dish that combines succulent shrimp, al dente pasta, ...
Easy Beef Stroganoff with mushrooms is the perfect simple supper for a busy weekday night. With just 5 ingredients, y...
This shortcut version of classic ham and bean soup is delicious and easy to make with the help of a food processor. I...
This Easy smoked sausage and pineapple skillet is tangy and delicious with lots of fresh pineapple, green pepper, and...
A Greek-style tomato basil puff pastry tart with cucumber, spinach, and other herbs. With a light flaky crust that me...
This hearty Chili Verde Soup is full of delicious authentic Mexican flavor, using fresh ingredients unique to Mexican...
Vietnamese-inspired lettuce wraps with peanut sauce, made with a lime-marinated carrot salad, ground turkey or beef, ...
This yummy, creamy tortellini soup with spinach and Italian sausage is at the top of our family’s comfort food ...