Meals | Recipes | Simple Suppers
Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Hoisin Sauce
These Vietnamese Inspired Lettuce Wraps are Our Family’s Favorite Summertime Meal
With lots of fresh ingredients from the garden, a lime-marinated carrot salad, a delicious peanut sauce, and fresh mint, we have yet to have any leftovers. I was first introduced to this recipe while visiting my best friend Sherri in Canada, she served it to us for dinner and we devoured it! She gets all the credit for this one.
Over the years, I have simplified the recipe to make it easier to prepare. It is crunchy and packed with tangy flavor. It makes four servings so if you have a large family, you may want to double the recipe. I am normally not a huge fan of mint, but in this dish, it definitely merits being included. The mint compliments the other ingredients perfectly to take this meal from good to super delicious! I would compare it to the icing on a cake.
Cook The Ramen Noodles
Cook according to package directions reserving the seasoning packet for the meat. When the noodles are al dente, drain and set aside. Add 1/2 TBL of sesame oil to prevent noodles from sticking together.
Cook and season the meat
We use ground turkey in this meal, but you could alternatively use ground beef if you prefer. Add 1 TBL of sesame oil to medium pan and cook meat over medium heat. Add the seasoning packet from ramen noodles, sesame seeds, ginger and garlic. Continue cooking until browned. Stirring and breaking meat into small pieces as it cooks. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare The Vegetables
Cut and wash 4-6 large lettuce leaves, I like to use either Green Leaf, or Romaine. In a small bowl, combine lime juice and carrots, tear mint leaves into small pieces. Again, It might be tempting to omit the mint leaves, but I recommend you include them.
Chop the peanuts
Use a food processor and pulse slightly. Do not over pulse. If you are in a hurry, put the nuts into a zip lock bag and crush them lightly with a meat tenderizer.
Make the Peanut Hoisin Sauce
Combine peanut butter, hoisin sauce and 3 TBL water. Heat in the microwave until warm approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water just until it reaches pouring consistency.
Assemble The Lettuce Wraps
Lay out lettuce leaves and divide toppings between leaves. Layer the ingredients as follows; ramen noodles, turkey, carrots and peanuts. Sprinkle with chopped mint leaves. Pour peanut hoisin sauce on top and enjoy! Garnish with additional lime wedges, squeeze a little more lime juice onto the wrap just before eating as desired.
Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Hoisin Sauce
- Medium Pan, Medium Sauce Pot, Strainer, Food Processor -Optional
- 1 1/2 TBS Sesame Oil Divided
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey Can use ground beef if prefered
- 2 Cups Julienned Carrots
- 1 Juice from 1 lime, Extra lime wedges for garnish is optional
- 1 Package Soy Sauce Flavored Ramen Noodles Reserve seasoning packet for meat
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 1 Head Lettuce Preferably with larger leaves, Green Leaf, Romaine or Butter Head work well.
- 2 oz Hoisin Sauce
- 2 oz Creamy Peanut Butter
- 3 TBS Water
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 TBS Sesame Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Cup chopped mint leaves
- Cook Ramen Noodles according to package directions reserving the seasoning packet. When the noodles are al dente, drain and set aside. Add 1/2 Tbsp of sesame oil to prevent noodles from sticking together.Add 1 TBL of sesame oil to medium pan and cook ground turkey over medium heat, add soy sauce seasoning packet from ramen noodles, along with sesame seed, garlic and ginger. Stir to break meat into small pieces. Continue cooking until meat is browned.Cut and wash 4-6 large lettuce leaves, in a small bowl,combine lime juice and carrots, tear mint leaves into small pieces. Chop the peanuts and place them into a small bowl using a food processor or a ziplock bag and a meat tenderizer.
Peanut Hoisin Sauce
- Combine peanut butter, hoisin sauce and water. Heat inthe microwave until hot, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water just until it reaches pouring consistency.
Assemble The Wraps
- Lay out lettuce leaves and divide toppings between leaves. Layer toppings in this order; ramen, meat, carrots, peanuts and mint leaves. Drizzle peanut hoisin sauce on top and garnish with lime wedges. Squeeze on extra lime juice as desired.
you may also like
What I expected to be doing as a professional organizer on a day to day basis, is quite different than what I actually do. I imagined organizing pantries
Before you dive into trying to resolve a clutter issue you are dealing with, it is helpful to identify the root cause of why the clutter is there in the first place.
On a chilly night, my daughter loves nothing more than to wrap herself in a cozy warm housecoat, light a candle, and make herself a cup of hot cocoa. Then she sits by the fire,